Established by the chief of Naval Operations to maintain the public's interest in naval aviation, the Blue Angels flew their first demonstration in three Grumman F6F "Hellcats" in June 1946 at Naval Air Station Jacksonville, Florida.
Although, only in their first season, the team was already evolving. On August 15, 1946, the Blue Angels move to the faster, more agile Grumman F8F "Bearcat." They also introduced the Blue Angels diamond formation, which is now their worldwide trademark.
The prop-driven Bearcats remained with the team until the introduction in 1949 of the Grumman F9F-2 "Panther" jet. The new Panthers ushered in the jet age and introduced the recognizable blue paint scheme with gold lettering.
Shortly after the start of Korean conflict, the Blue Angels were temporarily disbanded. In June 1950, the team reported to aircraft carrier USS Princeton as nucleus of Fighter Squadron 191, nicknamed "Satan's Kittens."
In late 1951, the Blue Angels were reformed, changing home base and aircraft. They were ordered to NAS Corpus Christi, Texas, to fly the newer and faster version of Panther, the F9F-5.
The winter of 1954 brought yet another aircraft and new home base. The Blue Angels relocated to their present home at NAS Pensacola, Florida, and begin flying Grumman F9F-8 "Cougar."
During the next 32 years, the Blue Angels flew the Cougar, the Grumman F11F-1 "Tiger," the McDonnell Douglas F-4J " Phantom II" and the McDonnell Douglas A-4F "Skyhawk ."
The 1974 season brought more changes as the Blue Angels were recognized from a flight demonstration squadron. This structural change allowed for the assignment of a commanding officer instead of a flight leader, and added more squadron members in support roles. These changes enable the Blue Angels to fulfill their redefined mission of assisting and enhancing Navy recruiting efforts throughout the U.S.
---from Blue Angels year book---